Michigan Dining serves certified Halal options out of the Olive Branch micro restaurant in the South Quad and Bursley dining halls. Options found here are purchased from certified Halal providers in the metro Detroit area.
In collaboration with the Muslim Coalition for the University of Michigan, Michigan Dining also serves a variety of menu items that are Halal certified and follow Halal practices in most dining halls. Dining staff follow extensive handling and procurement practices to provide students with as many options as possible.
To quickly identify Halal options, look for this emblem on our online, digital and dining hall menus.
Meal plan credits OR additional To-Go Meals are offered to those students whose religious observance requires a special diet during holidays. Please complete the online form.
- Muslim students with meal plans who wish to observe Ramadan may choose one of the following options:
- Suspend your meal plan for the duration of Ramadan for Spring semester. For 2018, a $20.20 credit for each day will be applied to your meal plan account as Dining Dollars. Dining Dollars can only be used during Ramadan and will expire after June 14th.
- Increase the number of To-Go Meals (order by 4:00 pm through Mosher-Jordan dining for next day pick-up) included on your meal plan during Ramadan.
- The Muslim Community Association (2301 Plymouth Road) provides free dinner to Muslim students every night during Ramadan. For more information, contact them at 734-665-6675 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are visiting the University of Michigan to attend a camp or conference, accommodations can be made by contacting a conference coordinator.
- If you need additional information, contact email@example.com.
Starting Fall 2018, Michigan Dining will offer a variety of Kosher-certified menu items out of a new Kosher-certified serving area in the South Quad dining hall. The station will operate from Sunday-Thursday for lunch and dinner and lunch on Friday. Serving hours are from 11am-2pm and 5pm-7:30pm. Students with University Room and Board Housing Contracts are eligible to eat at Hillel with their meal plan for Friday dinner and Saturday meals.
Certification for the South Quad Kosher kitchen is being overseen by Rabbi Yosef Asayag from Seal-K.
During the listed high holidays, the South Quad Kosher serving area will be closed.
Holiday meals will include:
- September 9, 2018 – Sunday – Rosh Hashanah Eve
- September 10-11, 2018 – Monday & Tuesday – Rosh Hashanah
- September 18, 2018 – Tuesday – Yom Kippur Eve
- September 19, 2018 – Wednesday –Yom Kippur
- September 23, 2018 – Sunday – Sukkot Eve
- September 24-25, 2018 – Monday & Tuesday – Sukkot
- September 30, 2018 – Sunday – Simchot Torah Eve
- October 1-2, 2018 – Monday & Tuesday – Simchot Torah
- April 19 through April 27, 2019 – Passover
Frequently Asked Questions
- What Kosher options will be available for breakfast?
- Only items served out of the Kosher kitchen will be certified. However, there are a variety of pareve options in all dining halls that may fit the needs of observing students.
- Who will be able to eat the options found in the Kosher kitchen?
- All individuals that pay for a(n) meal plan or individual meal will be able to enjoy the options served out of the Kosher kitchen when they dine at South Quad. For info on single meal rates and options, please visit here. Off-campus students, faculty/staff, and community members are all welcome with the single meal option.
- Can I be compensated for Passover/high holiday meal purchases at Hillel?
- Individuals who self-identify at Hillel that live in a University residence hall with a room and board contract are eligible to be compensated for Passover meals and high holiday meals eaten at Hillel.
- The compensation rate is as follows:
- Lunch: $6.50
- Dinner: $8.60
- Students will need to ensure their participation during these meals is tracked by Hillel in order to be compensated
- I still have questions. Who can I talk to for more info?
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any further questions.
- Chabad House Student Center offers a variety of kosher meal options during the week, Shabbat and other Jewish holidays. Please visit jewmich.com for further information.