Allergies & Special Diets

For many students, college can provide exciting new freedoms. However, it also often presents a number of new and unexpected challenges. Students with food allergies often need help to manage their diet through the vast array of campus dining choices.

If you have a food allergy or require a special diet, our Registered Dietitians can provide you with the resources and information needed to make healthy food choices in the dining halls. Contact them at [email protected]. Or speak with your dining hall manager.

Look for the signs posted near each food serving area for a list of menu options with allergens highlighted in red (see example below). You can also prescreen your menu choices for specific allergens and get complete ingredient information via MyNutrition. For any dietary preferences or restrictions where you need your food prepared separately, you can submit a special meal request order form.

Sign Generator Example Michigan Dining Nutrition Allergies



Gluten-Free Dining

To accommodate gluten-free dining, a variety of options are available upon request. This includes gluten-free breads, buns, wraps, pasta and pizza crusts. Many of our recipes are gluten-free; just look for the icon-glutenfree on menus posted near each serving area in our dining halls. At South Quad, East Quad, Mosher-Jordan, and Bursley dining halls, we provide access-controlled gluten-free pantries to reduce the risk of cross-contact between foods.

To request access to the gluten-free pantries, please watch the video below and follow the instructions explained in it. If you have any questions following the video, please contact our registered dietitians at [email protected].

Preventive Measures

Any food allergies should be listed on a medical emergency card and carried with you at all times. This information can then be shared with appropriate staff or medical professionals as needed. We recommend that you tell your roommate about your allergies and any emergency medications. You may also want to consider instructing your roommate in how these medications should be used.

If you have an Allergic Reaction

If the reaction is severe, call 9-1-1. Tell the dispatcher you are having an allergic reaction, name the food source and state where you are. Take your medications as prescribed.

If the reaction is not severe, take medication as prescribed and determine whether you need medical attention. For non-emergency help, call Security at 734-763-1131 or contact University Health Services.

Guests who experience an allergic reaction should also follow up with the Michigan Dining dietitians by emailing details to [email protected].

Learn More

To learn more about any of these services, please contact one of our Registered Dietitians at [email protected].