Michigan Dining participates in service activities focused on hunger relief and sustainable food systems in support of many community organizations.
- Food Recovery Network – Through a network of volunteers, Michigan Dining contributes dining hall food that would otherwise go to waste for distribution to community organizations.
- Food Gatherers – At the end of each term, perishable food is donated to Food Gatherers, a food bank in Washtenaw County’s food bank.
- Agrarian Adventures – Michigan Dining staff volunteers work with Ann Arbor schools to raise awareness with K-12 students about healthy eating and understanding where food comes from.
- Local Food Summit – Michigan Dining has been a sponsor of this event designed to promote a sustainable, equitable food system in southeast Michigan.
- Culinary Vegetable Institute – Chefs from the University of Michigan and The Ohio State University battle it out at an annual competition to benefit K-12 educational efforts sponsored by the Culinary Vegetable Institute. The event features sustainable ingredients including seasonal vegetables grown on the nearby Chef’s Garden farm.
- University of Michigan Sustainable Food Program – Michigan Dining provides advisory and financial support to this umbrella organization that includes the Campus Farm and 11 student organizations engaged in building a sustainable food system.
- Student Projects and Research – We welcome appropriate research and class projects involving Michigan Dining staff and facilities or using data about our operations.