Michigan Dining Academic Year ’20-’21 FAQ
Welcome to Michigan Dining! We are looking forward to serving you, and while dining on campus will look different this year you can count on us for the great service and delicious meals that students have come to know so well. We know you will have questions and here are a few Q&As to get you started. Please visit dining.umich.edu for updates throughout the year.
Q. What is Michigan Dining doing to keep students, staff and employees safe while on campus?
A. Michigan Dining is committed to providing a safe customer experience for all students & staff on campus. We are already diligently following industry recognized food safety practices designed to keep customers and staff safe. In addition we are also implementing the following actions:
- Surfaces will be sanitized regularly with EPA approved sanitizer for use against COVID-19.
- All staff are required to undergo daily screening for symptoms of COVID-19 and University COVID-19 training in addition to COVID-19 food safe training via the National Restaurant Association.
- Utilization of plexiglass barriers between customers and staff.
- Face coverings will be required at all times for staff and customers in dining facilities. Face shields are worn by staff in service areas.
Q. Will Dining Halls be open in Winter Semester?
A. Yes, our Dining Halls will be open with safety measures in place to facilitate physical distancing that accounts for the latest guidance from local and national public health officials. Check dining.umich.edu for the latest hours of operation.
Q. What should I know about Meal Plans?
- Students who live in our Residence Halls are required to have a Meal Plan for every term in residence. This is the “Board” component of the Room & Board Housing contract.
- When students arrive at the Dining Hall they will need to show their MCard, use the GET app for contactless entry, and have an active meal plan to enter.
- You can upgrade your meal plan at any time during the term. To learn more, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For the most up to date information about all Dining locations, hours of operation and meal plans, please visit dining.umich.edu.
- Students with roll over meal plans from Winter 20 semester will have similar access to takeout meals
Q. Can I still purchase an off campus meal plan for the Winter 21 term?
A. Yes, Michigan Dining has 4 different meal plans available for our off-campus and apartment residents. More information on those plans can be found here. The Premium Plan is the most similar to what students living in the dorms have and any of these plans can be added via GET or by emailing email@example.com.
Q. I had a Residential Meal Plan for the Fall 20 term. What happens to my Dining Dollars, since Winter 21 Housing Contracts were canceled?
A. Michigan Dining worked in coordination with Housing, as the meal plan is the board portion of the Housing Contract. Dining Dollars from Fall 2020 Residential Meal Plans rolled over if you were enrolled in a Winter 2021 meal plan by 12/20/20. If you were not enrolled in a Winter 2021 meal plan at that time, any Dining Dollar balance greater than $5 was refunded to your student account.
Q. I had an off-campus Block Meal Plan for the Fall 20 term. What happens to my meal swipes and Dining Dollars?
A. Under normal circumstances, remaining Fall meal swipes and Dining Dollars would only roll over with the purchase of a Winter term meal plan. Due to the circumstances this year, Michigan Dining is allowing for these meal swipes and Dining Dollars to roll over without the purchase of a Winter term meal plan. Any remaining balances at the end of the Winter term will expire.
Q. What if I have special dietary needs?
A. We can accommodate a wide variety of dietary needs. Visit https://dining.umich.edu/about-our-food to learn more about the options that are available. If you have a food allergy or require a special diet, our Registered Dietitians can provide you with the resources and information you need to make healthy food choices in the dining halls. Contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org
Q. What if I am not feeling well and can’t make it to the dining hall?
A. If you live in a residence hall and are not feeling well, your dining hall will provide you with a special meal when you are confined to your room due to illness or injury.
- All you have to do is place your order online using the Feel better order form at least two hours in advance and arrange for a healthy friend or roommate to pick up your meal at the dining hall.
- You may choose up to two entrées. Entrée choices include daily menu options, sandwiches and salads. If you choose an entrée from the daily menu, your meal will need to be picked up during regular dining hall service hours. Sandwiches and salads can be picked up at any time.
Q. What is the Maize & Blue Cupboard?
A. Maize & Blue Cupboard is here to ensure that members of the University of Michigan community, whether on a tight budget or unable to get to a grocery store, have equitable access to healthy, nutritious, and nourishing food and the ability to prepare it for themselves or others.
Located in the lower level of the Betsy Barbour Residence Hall, Maize & Blue Cupboard is open Monday-Friday from 3pm to 7pm and Sunday from 2pm to 8pm. Visit mbc.studentlife.umich.edu to find out more.