Michigan Dining Fall 2020 FAQ
Welcome to Michigan Dining! We are looking forward to having you join us this fall. While fall will look different this year you can count on us for the great service and delicious meals that students have come to know so well. We know you will have questions and here are a few Q&As to get you started. Please visit dining.umich.edu for updates throughout the summer.
Q. What is Michigan Dining doing to keep students, staff and employees safe when everyone returns to campus?
A. Michigan Dining is committed to providing a safe customer experience as we welcome students & staff back to campus. We are already diligently following industry recognized food safety practices designed to keep customers and staff safe. In addition we are also implementing the following actions:
- Surfaces will be sanitized regularly with EPA approved sanitizer for use against COVID-19.
- All staff are required to undergo daily screening for symptoms of COVID-19 and University COVID-19 training in addition to COVID-19 food safe training via the National Restaurant Association.
- Utilization of plexiglass barriers between customers and staff.
- Face coverings will be required at all times for staff and customers in dining facilities except when seated to eat.
Q. Will Dining Halls be open?
A. Yes, our Dining Halls will be open with the latest guidance from local and national public health officials. By downloading the GET app, Meal Plan holders will be able to pick up great tasting takeout meals at 4 convenient M Dining To Go locations across campus.
Q. What should I know about Meal Plans?
- Fall 2020 meal plans begin at dinner August 23rd
- Students who live in our Residence Halls are required to have a Meal Plan for every term in residence. This is the “Board” component of your Room & Board Housing contract.
- When students arrive at the Dining Hall they will need to show their Mcard and have an active meal plan to enter.
- You can upgrade your meal plan at any time during the term. To learn more, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For the most up to date information about all Dining locations, hours of operation and meal plans, please visit dining.umich.edu.
- Returning students with roll over meal plans from last Winter semester will have similar access to takeout meals, and by reservation dine-in meals.
Q. What if I have special dietary needs?
A. We can accommodate a wide variety of dietary needs. Visit https://dining.umich.edu/about-our-food to learn more about the options that are available. If you have a food allergy or require a special diet, our Registered Dietitians can provide you with the resources and information you need to make healthy food choices in the dining halls. Contact them at email@example.com
Q. Will contactless payment be offered at MDining locations?
A. Yes, for your convenience and safety all MDining locations will offer contactless payment through the GET app. You can also use the GET app to order ahead in select retail locations, and it will enable you to access the Dining Halls with contactless entry.
Q. What if I am not feeling well and can’t make it to the dining hall?
A. If you live in a residence hall and are not feeling well, your dining hall will provide you with a special meal when you are confined to your room due to illness or injury.
- All you have to do is place your order online using the Feel better order form at least two hours in advance and arrange to have a friend, roommate or Resident Advisor pick up your meal at the dining hall.
- You may choose up to two entrées. Entrée choices include daily menu options, sandwiches and salads. If you choose an entrée from the daily menu, your meal will need to be picked up during regular dining hall service hours. Sandwiches and salads can be picked up at any time.
Q. What is the Maize & Blue Cupboard?
A. Maize & Blue Cupboard is here to ensure that members of the University of Michigan community, whether on a tight budget or unable to get to a grocery store, have equitable access to healthy, nutritious, and nourishing food and the ability to prepare it for themselves or others.
Located in the lower level of the Betsy Barbour Residence Hall, Maize & Blue Cupboard is open Monday – Friday from 3pm to 7pm and Saturday – Sunday from 12pm to 3pm. Visit mbc.studentlife.umich.edu to find out more.