MDining strives to provide equitable access to food for all members of our community through ingredient transparency.
- Almost 20% of Michigan Dining purchases come from local or Michigan sources.
- Ingredient, recipe, and allergy information are available on MyNutrition website to provide full transparency for diners.
- Sustainable contract language has been developed to ensure ingredient and product suppliers are meeting MDining’s sustainability standards.
- A top 9 allergen (milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, crustacean/shellfish, wheat, soy, sesame) free menu option is served at each dining hall daily.
- Local food sourcing and working with local farms/farmers
Palm Oil Statement
At Michigan Dining, we are dedicated to promoting sustainability and being conscious of our actions’ impact on the environment, people, and animals. An area of concern we have identified is using palm oil in the products we serve. While we do not currently purchase palm oil for direct use in our dining facilities, we recognize that some products we use contain palm oil as an ingredient and are committed to reducing our consumption.
We understand that palm oil production has been linked to deforestation, loss of habitat for endangered species such as orangutans, and land degradation. Not only does palm oil consumption threaten our environment, but it also raises social and environmental justice issues. We believe we must be mindful of these issues and take steps to reduce our impact.
To this end, we are actively working with our faculty and researchers to educate ourselves and our consumers on the negative effects of palm oil production and alternative options. We are constantly seeking ways to reduce our use of palm oil and find sustainable, ethical alternatives. One such initiative by MDining is providing educational signage alongside palm oil products on our campuses. These educational materials inform the consumers of the environmental and social negative impacts caused by palm oil products and how MDining has incorporated products that use palm oil alternatives, such as coconut oil.
Our top priority is to provide our customers with high-quality products that are not only delicious but also sustainable and mindful of their impact on the planet. We understand the devastation caused by palm oil production and are committed to doing our part in reducing it while also providing our customers with a great dining experience. We encourage our customers to join us in this commitment to sustainability and to be mindful of the impact of their choices.