MDining is committed to improving social equity and equal access to opportunity across all of its relationships.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are core to our work. Our staff won a UM Campus DEI award in 2019, and we are committed to making strides in DEI in our work, from developing inclusive menus to participating in unconscious bias training sessions to catering for DEI-focused events. MDining also emphasizes diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) by creating a dining experience that fuels a diverse student body. Alongside the university, MDining believes that DEI is key to individual flourishing, educational excellence, and the advancement of knowledge.
- Through the Global Chef Series, MDining invites international chefs to come and teach MDining chefs foods native to their culture and heritage allowing students to have a multicultural dining experience
- Menus have been crafted to celebrate Heritage Months with different cultural cuisines such as Black History Month in February and Hispanic Heritage Month in September/October
- Inclusive menuing is practiced through the inclusion of cultural foods such as Kosher options at South Quad Dining and a required Halal option at all dining halls. Vegan, Vegetarian, and T9 menu
- Palm oil usage is reduced whenever possible as human rights violations are commonplace in the palm oil industry
- MDining won a 2019 University of Michigan Staff DEI Award
- The Maize and Blue Cupboard, the UM Sustainable Food Program, the UM Campus Farm, and the Food Recovery Network have all participated in recent partnerships with MDining to promote DEI through events like Rooting for Change, HarvestFest, food recovery, and the Farm Stand
- MDining has trained staff with an unconscious bias training program, and recently hired a Director of Diversity & Inclusion to make further progress in DEI initiatives and staff development
- Students and staff have taken culinary bus tours to Detroit cultural food establishments (Asian Market, Vegan soul food, etc.) to explore opportunities for a more diverse dining menu
- MDining has worked number of student cultural organizations such as Multi-Ethnic Student Affairs (MESA) and the Trotter Multicultural Center to develop and cater a culturally significant menu